When my sister texted me early this morning that “SNAPE. DIED. 😦 😦 “ I thought she was being cute and behind the times. I replied with something trite: “Yes, Snape does die. SPOILERS.” But a cursory glance at Facebook confirmed her message.
Alan Rickman was a staple of my emotional upbringing. J.K. Rowling might have created the character, but Rickman brought the tragic man to life. But nevermore will he grace the stage or the screen with his charismatic presence and his deep, honeyed voice. The connection us little people have with celebrities (and the phenomena of celebrity) is often a silly one. People we have never heard of and will never know die in droves everyday. However, there’s still no denying the feeling of sadness that filled my chest upon hearing about his death.
Thank you for all the feels, Rickman.
R.I.P. Alan Rickman (1946 – 2016). Always.
- Alan Rickman: A life in pictures | BBC
- Daniel Radcliffe’s touching tribute to Alan Rickman | The Washington Post
- “We are all so devastated”: acting world pays tribute to Alan Rickman | The Guardian
- Here’s How Harry Potter Co-Stars Paid Tribute to Alan Rickman After His Death | TIME
- Read Emma Thompson’s Emotional Tribute to Her Friend Alan Rickman | Vanity Fair